Tuesday, May 10, 2011

10 More Things I've Learned about Writing


10. It's okay that it's really rough because it's only the first (second, third, forty-seventh) draft.

9. Always have liquid within reaching distance. NOTE: reaching, not spilling.

8. Pacing and muttering quickens the writing process and (in my world) counts as exercise.

7. I am a far more talented writer in my head than I am on paper.

6. Writing suspense is hard. Writing a love scene is hard. Heck, writing is hard.

5. No, writing is easy. Writing well is hard.

4. There is no harsher critic than the one you hear in your head.

3. Cherish the brilliant plot twist that leaps into your mind just before you go to sleep because you won't remember it in the morning. NOTE: writing down "window is smeared" won't help. You may have thought that was all you would need to remember, but you erred. Grievously.

2. Crumbs are difficult to dislodge from your keyboard.

1. Remember to laugh. It will keep you sane. It's always better to laugh than pressing 'delete'. Trust me on this one.


7 comments:

  1. Good points, all. I do need a cover for my keyboard. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been through at least 6 keyboards in my short writing career. Only one from spilled liquid, though.

    Terry
    Terry's Place
    Romance with a Twist--of Mystery

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maryann; An excellent investment - and a legitimate business expens

    Terry; Gracious! Six? I have massive Fear of Liquids, so they're always away from the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elspeth - As always, very wise lessons! I love #9, because I'm addicted to coffee. Yes, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. And I love #2 because I do more meal-eating at the computer table some days than I do at the dining table...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Margot; What would we writers do without coffee? The mind boggles...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you've been stalking my writing habits. Best advice of the lot...#1 definitely. Keep this one active and the others don't seem so bad.
    Thanks for this. A great way to start my writing day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list! Excuse me, I have to go put on another pot of coffee.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment as I love to hear from you!