Tuesday, January 18, 2011

10 Self-Motivators for Writers


Sometimes you need help to keep going on your current project. As a veteran swimmer in the sea of self-loathing, I offer you the following motivators to keep on writing:

10. You can have a cookie(s) when you finish for the day.

9. In the midst of the shambles you've already written which is mocking you from the page, there is one sentence you really like. Focus on it.

8. What would you be doing if you weren't writing? Do you really want to be doing that?

7. Think about how far you've come; not how far you still need to go.

6. Fantasise about what you'd treat yourself to with some of that royalty cheque. Perhaps it's a personal chef to make you cookies.

5. You love your characters. If you can't keep on writing for yourself, keep on writing for them.

4. Having the discipline to keep on writing even when it's tough is what separates the real writers from the wannabees. Do you really want to be a wannabe?

3. Remember why you started writing this story in the first place.

2. Accomplishment makes anyone glow. Go for the glow!

1. This story deserves to be written and only you can write it.


9 comments:

  1. I really needed to read this. After almost 15 years of writing every day, and publishing 3 books and many dozens of short pieces, I've lost my motivation. Everything I have in progress looks tired and I have no inspiration to do something new. But my characters--I still love my characters! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne; I'm pleased I was able to help a little bit. Go for the glow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elspeth - Thanks for this! We really do have remind ourselves that what we are doing is important and worth pursuing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margot; Or bribe ourselves with cookies. Whatever works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'The Glow' I write for the glow

    ReplyDelete
  6. all I can think of nfow is cookies. Thanks a bunch! I'm going out to make cookies but I got my writing quota done for the day so....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Al; Good for you. Glow on!

    Jan; I admire your discipline for getting the quota done first. Quota then cookies. That way you avoid crumbs on your keyboard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very good. I need to read this list every day.

    AND...I have an award for you on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment as I love to hear from you!