Monday, November 15, 2010

Wisdom of the Sheep


Click, click click.

Sheep #1: Ahem.

Click, click, click.

Sheep #1: Ahem.

Clickity-click click click.

Sheep #1: AHEM!!!

Writer: (stopping typing) Yes?

Sheep #2: Hello.

Writer: I'm busy. I don't have time for you now.

Sheep #3: Like that's ever stopped us.

Writer: (sighing heavily) Yes?

Sheep #1: Pray tell, who are they? (pointing a hoof towards another flock of sheep)

Writer: They're a new project.

Sheep #2: We know that. We're not stupid. Look at them - they're lambs.

Sheep #1: Their wool is pristine.

Sheep #2: Their hoofs are spotless.

Sheep #3: They're precious.

All the Sheep: And you're spending all your time with them!

Sheep #1: What about us?

Sheep #2: You love us.

Sheep #3: You've said so.

Sheep #1: More than once.

Sheep #2: Were you lying?

Sheep #1: Because that would be hurtful.

Writer: I'm sorry. I'm attracted to new projects.

Sheep #1: We've noticed.

Sheep #2: This is a problem.

Writer: Why?

Sheep #1: Look around you. How many flocks of sheep do you see?

Writer: Well...there's the new flock I've been spending time with.

Sheep #1: And...

Writer: And the three flocks of 14 sheep over there - those are the three games I'm working on.

Sheep #2: And...

Writer: Way over there is the short-story flock.

Sheep #3: (squinting) Why, they're wasting away.

Writer: (ashamedly) It's been awhile since I've worked on that.

Sheep #1: And...

Writer: And what?

Sheep #2: There's us!

Writer: Of course.

Sheep #1: Mind some advice?

Writer: What if I do?

Sheep #1: You'll get it anyway.

Writer: Fine. Bleat away.

Sheep #1: You can't keep popping from flock to flock. Make your choice. Stay with one flock until you're finished.

Sheep #2: Then move on.

Writer: But...

Sheep #1: You may think you're moving forward - but you're just jumping over the fences between flocks. If you'll notice, none of us have left.

Sheep #2: You're just adding more flocks.

Writer: But, it feels like I'm moving forward.

Sheep #1: Have any sheep left?

Writer: No.

Sheep #1: Pick a flock.

Sheep #2: Stick to it.

Sheep #3: Finish it. Then move on.

Writer: You're right.

Sheep #1: Aren't we always?

Writer: I'm feeling a bit sheepish.

Sheep #1: Don't start.

11 comments:

  1. Don't start - LOL! I love your sheep :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol; Thanks. I'll let them know. I foresee preening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh the way of the sheep!
    Listen to the sheep and you will find true wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the sheep, too. It would be nice to finish just one of the projects I've started in the last year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elspeth - I just love the wisdom of your sheep. They bring up an important point, too. Writers are often sooo tempted to be fickle - at least this one is. The sheep are reminding you focus. Which is ironic considering the writer was focusing when the sheep interrupted...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Al; The sheep are wise. Annoying, but wise. Also wooly.

    Patricia; Out of all the projects I've worked on this year ONE got finished. I suspect the sheep may have a point.

    Margot; I confess. I'm fickle. I'm easily distracted. I'm sure if I just concentrated on...Look! A quarter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could use a few of your sheep. Feel free to send them over.

    Terry
    Terry's Place
    Romance with a Twist--of Mystery

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terry; I'll see if they have their passports.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Elspeth - those sheep are so smart. Too smart really. Did it ever occur to you that they may be aliens pretending to be sheep?
    Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I little sheepish, indeed! I like Jan's thought...aliens. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment as I love to hear from you!