Tuesday, November 30, 2010

10 Signs of an Approaching Deadline


10. Your normally loquacious imagination now mumbles "Umm..."

9. You've worn a path in the carpet from your pacing.

8. You notice you're typing more typos than actual words.

7. You have to describe a sunset. The only word that comes to mind is 'pretty'.

6. You're drinking cold coffee.

5. The manuscript you swore yesterday was near-to-perfect now reveals itself as riddled with errors.

4. Your knowledge of rudimentary grammar and spelling seems to have disappeared along with your typing skills.

3. Your closest relationship is with your thesaurus (see #7).

2. You're convinced this manuscript is the one that will give away that your previous success was an error and you actually have no talent at all.

1. You promise yourself you'll never put yourself through this again. You know you're lying.

11 comments:

  1. Ha! I have a deadline tomorrow, I'm locked out of my email account (that's the pacing part)...and I'm drinking cold coffee. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth; Being locked out of my email account would give me heart palpitations! I'm sure you'll meet your deadline with ease. By the way, I'm drinking cold coffee too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elspeth - No doubt about it; deadlines do have the habit of chilling one's coffee. I would humbly add this: you notice a disturbing upswing in your consumption of over-the-counter indigestion remedies. I wish you well meeting yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margot; Many years ago I suffered from ulcers. I'm quite used to chugging antacids if the tension really ramps up. Luckily, it rarely comes to that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. #10, 7, and 4 are so painful! You've nailed another list spot on, Elspeth!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura; Thanks! I wish I could say I just made these up...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I suppose there IS that 'good' side to not having deadlines because you're still stuck selling on spec.

    Terry
    Terry's Place
    Romance with a Twist--of Mystery

    ReplyDelete
  8. So funny, sad, and true - all at once.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Terry; That's very true!

    Carol; I didn't mean it to be sad...but I've certainly found all of them to be true for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have deadline envy.
    Scary I know but I do.
    Deadlines work for me and
    I'm just the teeniest bit tired of making them up for myself.
    oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jan; I confess. I have to have deadlines or I'd never get anything done. Self-imposed or not, they have to be there. I admit, though, the self-imposed ones are the hardest ones to meet.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment as I love to hear from you!