Friday, September 18, 2009

True Reflections


Characters; they're tricky beasts. What does he/she look like? What's his/her name? What kind of clothes are preferred? Easy to get along with or a bit ornery? Fussy eater? Overeater? The list of questions goes on and on and on.....

My characters are completely fictional. Not one of them is based on anyone I've known or know now. I stay resolutely away from familiar names simply because, for me, those names come with too much baggage attached. I will not slap famous faces on my characters for the same reason.

As I work out my plot by stalking around my house and muttering darkly, (trust me it's a scary sight) characters just start popping up and I give them temporary names like "eats too much boy", "snoopy girl" "loyal but annoying wife" and "falls down a lot boy". Each name reminds me how that particular character serves the plot or is my comic relief (always popular with me) and slowly but surely everything starts to jell. Plot first, characters second.

If I've enjoyed a book I will usually play one of my favorite games called "Who Do You Cast?" which is casting famous actors as the characters. I was asked once if I could play the game with my manuscript and I recoiled at the thought.

I'm fascinated that many authors base characters on real people. I do not have this talent. For me it's all pretend!

13 comments:

  1. I think I'd like to meet "falls down a lot boy." Is his name Bruce? (pronounced to rhyme with cruise).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha Alan! Good one. "Falls down a lot boy" is a handy one - good for laughs but you know sooner or later he's going to fall somewhere interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't imagine characters as celebrities, as in, who would play this character. Primarily because I don't watch enough movies to know who are the "in" actors, let alone their names. I like your idea of giving them descriptive names at the beginning.

    Helen
    Straight From Hel

    ReplyDelete
  4. You crack me up. How about, lady with crazy characters in her head? Oh wait, that would be you writing about someone you know--too well!

    I love to think about who would play the part when I'm reading a book. I have written characters based on people I have met or have known, but that's the exception rather than than the rule.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't base my characters on real people, but I do find certain characteristics remind me of some family members. I blogged out how my heroes remind me of my dad in some ways the other day. But only traits. It would be much too creepy (for me anyway!) if my characters reminded me strongly of people I see all the time. I think I'd be studying them far too much - and then I'd be the creepy one :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My first book was based on someone I knew. On several someones, actually. My second book, just the reverse.

    Galen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Helen; Trust me when I say the actors mentioned are not those hot right now. I rarely go to the movies.

    Elizabeth; I'm pleased you're amused. I try, in my own small way.

    Jami; I read that post and how lucky you are to have such a father!

    Galen; You can base your characters on anyone real or not. You can fly helicopters. You win.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! That's how I remember people that I've met (I have a horrible memory.) I write descriptions of them (like yours) and keep them in a secret book. Then I study my lists before I go to any parties. I can't remember names...sigh.

    Elizabeth
    Mystery Writing is Murder

    ReplyDelete
  9. I use temporary names a lot. Or more often, I just type XXXX or GGGG and then replace them all later. It's faster than typing a description, especially when you're using an antique typewriter. Oh, wait. I'm not.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love "who do you cast"!!! I do that all the time with my favourite books and in my mind's eye when I am writing. The Hollywood Casting Call fantasy sometimes helpf me define a character if I am a bit foggy on him/her.

    And it's fun to think about - maybe one day - there will be a movie of my books... sigh....

    Cheers, Jill
    www.jilledmondson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never used temporary names like those. But I have just pulled a name out of the sky and then had it bug me for pages because it doesn't fit the character, until finally I change it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Elizabeth; I confess I use it in life as well, I'm also awful at remembering names.

    Jack; That would work as well. It IS too bad about the typewriter.

    Jill; Welcome to a fellow Canadian! Please stick around!

    Stephanie: Isn't it irritating to have the wrong name for a character? Drives me nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Elspeth, I'd like to go to more movies, but haven't seen much advertised that would compel me to pay for a ticket. (Buttered popcorn, I'd pay for, which is another reason to stay away from the movie theater.)

    On another topic, today I gave you The Dragon's Loyalty Award.

    Helen
    Straight From Hel

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment as I love to hear from you!