Sometimes you need help to keep going on your current project. As a veteran swimmer in the sea of self-loathing, I offer you the following motivators to keep on writing:
10. You can have a cookie(s) when you finish for the day.
9. In the midst of the shambles you've already written which is mocking you from the page, there is one sentence you really like. Focus on it.
8. What would you be doing if you weren't writing? Do you really want to be doing that?
7. Think about how far you've come; not how far you still need to go.
6. Fantasise about what you'd treat yourself to with some of that royalty cheque. Perhaps it's a personal chef to make you cookies.
5. You love your characters. If you can't keep on writing for yourself, keep on writing for them.
4. Having the discipline to keep on writing even when it's tough is what separates the real writers from the wannabees. Do you really want to be a wannabe?
3. Remember why you started writing this story in the first place.
2. Accomplishment makes anyone glow. Go for the glow!
1. This story deserves to be written and only you can write it.
This post first ran in January, 2011.
Elspeth - Oh, those are wonderful! Thank you for giving me a necessary shot in the arm. And a cookie when I'm finished my daily writing goal ;-). I usually kick myself in the butt with #4. But I think the real truth for all of us is #1. Thanks for the reminder.ReplyDelete
Just what I need to get me going today! Thank you dear person. I think number one is the main one for me...but the one that gets me in trouble is 8 cuz I always have a million things I'm doing. Right now I'm finishing my fifth tiny world pincushion. really really obsessed with these but five is all I'm doing - for five girlfriends. You can see them soon on living the complicated simple life. For a Buddhist I'm awfully busy at Christmas!ReplyDelete
That's a great list to keep in mind. Thanks.ReplyDelete
Margot; I'm sure someone as organized as you doesn't need much help!ReplyDelete
Jan; Oh - I want a tiny world pincushion! I'll look for the pictures on your other blog.
Lou; Thank YOU for taking the time to leave a comment!
Great list as always! Hope you and yours have a wonderful Christmas! Take care :)ReplyDelete
Great motivators. I haven't written in a while because of the holidays. Looking forward to getting back to my regular programming :)ReplyDelete
# 8: No!ReplyDelete