Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Reading List


My thoughts are starting to turn to thoughts of vacation as my family will be going to the Okanagan Valley in two weeks. As the One Who Packs I am starting to compose mental lists and one of those lists is "What To Read".

Every vacation I bring along edifying books (why are they always really heavy?) thinking that this is my chance to finally read them. This never happens. I don't finish reading The Complete Works of William Shakespeare. I don't reread Homer. I read for fun. Books that make me laugh or wonder at the author's genius. Old favorites will include at least one book by Elizabeth George and one of Alex Guinness' masterpieces.

I've tried to take books that need intense concentration. What was I thinking? Vacation is not a time for deep study. It is a time to be reading something that you don't have self-reproaching guilt every time you lay it down.

What do you read when on vacation? Any recommendations?

3 comments:

  1. That does it. I'm sending you a print copy of *Faking It*. You "need" one. :)

    email me (elisa@elisalorello) w/ your address and I'll put it in the mail tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've pretty much given up trying to take anything to read on vacation. Too much distraction, too much to do, and, of course, there's the comment, "Hey, you can read at home. This is, XYZ, get out and enjoy yourself."

    So, reading the bill at dinner is about as good as it gets.

    Best Regards, Galen
    Imagineering Fiction Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I take light reads (lightweight, too) on vacation. Since I'm taking a mini-vacation at the moment (one whole day), I picked up "There's Something About St. Tropez" by Elizbeth Adler, which Booklist called "the perfect beach read." It's looking a lot like a mystery as of page 39, so I get a bonus.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment as I love to hear from you!