Thursday, August 13, 2009

Moving Forward?

I have always been one the world's best procrastinators. I am superb at starting projects and not so good at finishing. Both of these attributes makes writing a bit of an up-hill battle. On the other hand, I like routines. Sitting down to write at a certain time every day gives me a sense of order. Actually writing, however, is a different kettle of fish. There are blogs to peruse and enjoy. There are the news sites to check, email to check and reply to...not to mention a few rounds of my computer game of choice. See my dilemma?

I'm not without discipline (despite what I've written in the foregoing paragraph). I meet every deadline. I am quick to customer queries about my games. Commissions get done promptly. But my own writing? It does get worked on, but not at a steady pace. I wish I could be one of those writers who can demand of themselves a certain amount of words per day. There are days when I write over 2,000. There are days when I'm lucky to write 20.

I am finding writing this blog daily very helpful. It is forcing discipline on me in a gentle way. There's no consequence to not writing except personal guilt. Guilt works. Self-imposed deadlines work to a degree. I need to move forward and stop poking in the quicksand.

3 comments:

  1. I'm also finding blogging helpful in establishing the writing habit. I would love to be a disciplined writer. Maybe someday. Until then, I'll do my binge-writing sessions when they happen, and try not to feel guilty in between.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe work on a smaller goal? Say 20 minutes of dedicated writing time each day? Or maybe even 2 paragraphs per day. Then you can feel good about reaching your goal and that may motivate you to continue farther that day.

    Elizabeth
    Mystery Writing is Murder

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth, that's a good idea! Thank you! And Patricia, you've got the right attitude!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment as I love to hear from you!