Tuesday, April 5, 2011

10 Signs You're NOT in The Zone


10. Just one more game of solitaire. Just one. Oops, where did that hour go?

9. Notice you've used the word 'pretty' twice. Not in the same paragraph; the same sentence.

8. (If you write mysteries) Your sleuth is about to have his/her big 'aha' moment. This is when you realize there is no logical way they could have leapt to the solution.

7. Realize your fingers are cramping because they've been frozen over the keyboard for such a long time.

6. It's been so long since you've looked at your WIP that when you actually open up the document you have to spend considerable time re-reading it because you have no idea what's going on.

5. Congratulations; you've just forgotten your main character's name.

4. You've only got half an hour to write and you're determined to make it count. Okay, just one more game of solitaire and you're going to start.

3. Your pet just came into the room, yawned and left. He knows.

2. You've been popping about the internet completing vital research. How is it possible that your computer's screen is showing travel packages to Tahiti?

1. A new high score in solitaire. It's time well-spent.




16 comments:

  1. With the exception of the pet I don't have, these are all too familiar. I save each day's manuscript version with a date extension, and it's a terrible feeling when I see I haven't touched it for two weeks. Of course, I tell myself I've been doing other important "writer" things, but it still means no progress on the WIP has been made.

    Terry
    Terry's Place
    Romance with a Twist--of Mystery

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgotten the main character's name! Ha! I've actually done that, but because I was working on 2 different series at once...and put in a whole scene/protagonist that should have been in the other manuscript.

    Thanks for the smile, Elspeth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forget character names all the time. Terrible. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terry; Isn't it a warm fuzzy realization? *groan* I'm glad I'm not the only one...

    Elizabeth; I've done it too when I'm working on more than one game at a time. Thanks for sharing your story; how annoying that must have been!

    Lauri; Glad to know I'm not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elspeth - Oh, yes, these are definite signs. Here's one I always dread: Notice that the glass of water you just drank is more colourful than your main character.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Margot; LOL! That would be troubling and perhaps, a signal to switch to drinking something red in a differently shaped glass.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elspeth - LOL! Yes, now that's a solution I can cheerfully consider! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Margot; We REALLY need to live closer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Somehow, 5 and 6 sound terribly familiar. I wonder why?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny. For me, if I think too much, I can talk myself out of anything. Best to just do a Thelma and Louise and jump off the cliff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This list made me laugh because it's so true! I've experienced all of these (um, multiple times).

    Glad I stopped in - happy to be a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dorte; I'm sure it's just because you have a wonderful imagination!

    Luana; I've got a fear of heights, so no cliff-jumping for me. But if that what works for you, go for it!

    Jennifer; Welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed the post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. HAHAHAHAHAHA! I really needed this! Thanks for the laugh. I like #3 best because it happens daily lately!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yep. Sounds about right. Except, instead of solitare, it's Oregon Trail...

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment as I love to hear from you!