Tuesday, December 21, 2010

10 Ways to Finish that Danged First Draft (take 2)

As I'm going to be taking a blogation for the rest of the week, I'm re-running some of my most popular posts. This one is from August. Happy shortest day of the year, everyone!


10. Stop fixating on your word count. Just write your story.

9. Resist the urge to hit that shiny delete button.

8. Remind yourself it's your decision when to put your story in front of someone else's eyes. Until then, it's just you.

7. Have a daily goal. I usually write one or two scenes.

6. Don't compare your output to anyone else's.

5. Remember speed does not necessarily equal quality. On the other hand, slowness does not necessarily ensure quality either.

4. If you notice yourself smiling while you're writing, it's probably a good sign. Or...you're thinking about cookies.

3. Expect your characters to say and do things you're not expecting. They generally know best.

2. Ignore the lure of your colourful secondary characters. One or two will insist they need a larger role. They're usually wrong.

1. No one said it was easy. If it was, everyone who says "I'd like to be a writer" would actually be one. Screw your courage to the sticking point and persevere.

5 comments:

  1. Elspeth - Thank you so much for this very timely reminder!! Sometimes one just has to put one's head down and just move ahead...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm on blog vacation, too, Elspeth, starting tomorrow and lasting through the weekend. Then back to the computer with a new schedule and a new set of goals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should move forward. But gee-- I just got the letter than I'm getting the rights back to an early book, and it's so much more enticing to get it ready for digital release.

    So I'll be back to this list once I finish that project!

    Terry
    Terry's Place
    Romance with a Twist--of Mystery

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margot; So true! I just wish it was easier to accomplish.

    Patricia; Relax! Watch the snowflakes dance.

    Terry; I'd argue that that IS moving forward; it's a new format. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment as I love to hear from you!