Tuesday, August 23, 2011
10 Tips for Attacking First Drafts
10. There can never be enough coffee.
9. Forgive the bad writing, just write. Bad can be fixed.
8. Set a daily goal. Remember that 500 words is a worthy achievement.
7. Food is good. Crumbs in your keyboard are bad. Constant vigilance is vital.
6. Read your dialogue out loud. Seriously.
5. See #10. Bathroom breaks will be necessary.
4. You don't need to know every step in your plot, but a rough map can save your sanity.
3. Of course sanity can be a relative term.
2. There are days when you will write badly. Sadly (for me) these days are in the majority.
1. Every word you write is one word closer to 'the end'. Just. Keep.Writing.