Friday, February 25, 2011

Fun Friday

More deliciousness sent to me by a correspondent; you've got to love the British...

If you're planning to watch the Oscars, give a thought to me - winning one of those statutes has always been one of my brightest ambitions. Ah well.

Have a great weekend, everyone!


AS HEARD ON THE LONDON UNDERGROUND:


A list of actual announcements that London Tube train drivers have made to their passengers...

1) 'Ladies and Gentlemen, I do apologize for the delay to your service. I know you're all dying to get home, unless, of course, you happen to be married to my ex-wife, in which case you'll want to cross over to the Westbound and go in the opposite direction.'

2) 'Your delay this evening is caused by the line controller suffering from A & E syndrome: not knowing his arse from his elbow. I'll let you know any further information as soon as I'm given any.'

3) 'Ladies and gentlemen, we apologize for the delay but there is a security alert at Victoria station and we are therefore stuck here for the foreseeable future, so let's take our minds off it and pass some time together. All together now.... Ten green bottles, hanging on a wall.'

4) 'Beggars are operating on this train. Please do NOT encourage these professional beggars. If you have any spare change, please give it to a registered charity. Failing that, give it to me.'

5) 'Let the passengers off the train FIRST!' (Pause) 'Oh go on then, stuff yourselves in like sardines, see if I care - I'm going home....'

6) 'Please allow the doors to close; try not to confuse this with 'Please hold the doors open - the two are distinct and separate instructions.'

7) 'Please note that the beeping noise coming from the doors means that the doors are about to close. It does not mean throw yourself or your bags into the doors.'

8) 'We can't move off because some idiot has their hand stuck in the door.'

9) 'To the gentleman wearing the long grey coat trying to get on the second carriage - what part of 'stand clear of the doors' don't you understand?'

10) 'Please move all baggage away from the doors.' (Pause..) 'Please move ALL belongings away from the doors.' (Pause...) 'This is a personal message to the man in the brown suit wearing glasses at the rear of the train: Put the pie down, Four-eyes, and move your bloody golf clubs away from the door before I come down there and shove them up your arse sideways!'

11) 'May I remind all passengers that there is strictly no smoking allowed on any part of the Underground. However, if you are smoking a joint, it's only fair that you pass it round the rest of the carriage.'



PRINTED IN BRITISH NEWSPAPERS
Commenting on a complaint from a Mr. Arthur Purdey about a large gas bill, a spokesman for North West Gas said: 'We agree it was rather high for the time of year. It's possible Mr. Purdey has been charged for the gas used up during the explosion that destroyed his house.' (The Daily Telegraph)

Police reveal that a woman arrested for shoplifting had a whole salami in her underwear. When asked why, she said it was because she was missing her Italian boyfriend. (The Manchester Evening News)

Irish police are being handicapped in a search for a stolen van, because they cannot issue a description. It's a Special Branch vehicle and they don't want the public to know what it looks like.
(The Guardian)

A young girl who was blown out to sea on a set of inflatable teeth was rescued by a man on an inflatable lobster. A coast guard spokesman commented, 'This sort of thing is all too common'.
(The Times)

At the height of the gale, the harbourmaster radioed a coast guard and asked him to estimate the wind speed. He replied he was sorry, but he didn't have a gauge. However, if it was any help, the wind had just blown his Land Rover off the cliff. (Aberdeen Evening Express)

Mrs. Irene Graham of Thorpe Avenue, Boscombe, delighted the audience with her reminiscence of the German prisoner of war who was sent each week to do her garden. He was repatriated at the end of 1945, she recalled: 'He'd always seemed a nice friendly chap but, when the crocuses came up in the middle of our
lawn in February 1946, they spelt out 'Heil Hitler.'' (Bournemouth Evening Echo)

9 comments:

  1. These were so much fun. Loved #10 announcement.
    Also had to laugh at your Oscar wish. I used to practice my acceptance speech back when I won my first scriptwriting award.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post for someone recovering from a flu.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elspeth - Oh, these are hilarious!!! I love 'em so much! I'm not even sure I could choose which I like the best. I do like #1, #5 and #ll a lot, though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terry; I usually adore British humour. It rains a great deal; they've got to be able to laugh.

    Maryann; I think everyone dreams of enjoys receiving awards. It's a tangible pat on the back.

    Dorte; Feel better!

    Margot; Aren't they great? Some of them made me really snicker.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these! The announcements about letting passengers off first was too funny..and the guy being charged for the gas in his explosion. Ha!

    Saw a nice mention of your blog online: http://tinyurl.com/4lfho8b

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohmigish these are priceless, lol! Hey El, I did a post today featuring a bit o' British humour myself. Almsot the same title, even!

    I gotta copy some of these, though ... too funny. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I kept thinking "this is my favorite" with each one. Loved them all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much fun - the tulips take the cake though!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment as I love to hear from you!