I'm doing it. NaNoWriMo; one month, 50,000 words. I've never attempted it before, but I've had an idea kicking around in the back of my head for some time now, and I thought this might be the opportunity to see where it may lead.
Since I'm flying without a net, I've decided to really raise the height of the tight wire. After all, if the fall is going to kill you anyway, what does it matter how high you are to begin with? Here's what I'm doing differently for this NaNo project.
- No outline. I know the beginning and the end, but have absolutely no idea about the middle.
- Identity of the victim. No idea. Although I think there might be two. We'll see.
- Identity of the murderer. Again, no idea - although I can just discern someone lurking in the shadows. I think I know who it is, but I'm not sure.
- Location. It's not England. It's a town here in British Columbia I've actually been to.
- Time. It's not the past. It's now.
- Sub-Genre. I usually write historical mysteries - this one appears to be a cozy, with a generous helping of humour.
So, wish me luck. Wish me clear skies and smooth sailing.
I just hope I'm not on the Titanic.