Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Skippy's 10 Things

A rerun today as the cold has boomeranged back and I'm scheduled to leave on my writing retreat in two days. I refuse to be ill in a place I paid money for. Since Skippy seems to be in control of my life, I'm offering you another look at my post from back in June.


Other writing blogs will give you tips on how to improve your writing. How to develop your characters. How to muscle on through to the end. How to be productive.

Ha.

Today, your evil twin Skippy brings you 10 things to do instead of writing.


10. When was the last time you looked at your high school yearbook? Find it. This will either be a fond nostalgic trip down memory lane or a reason to go buy boxes of liquor.

9. Realize your house will never be as clean as the one you grew up in. Get comfortable with this thought while lying on the couch and watching the dust motes surf the air.

8. Reach into the back of your refrigerator and open that plastic container. You get 10 guesses on what it used to be. Bonus points if it has developed a pulse.

7. Go outside and marvel at how fast the weeds are growing in your garden. Consider how much easier your life would be if it was socially acceptable to just grow weeds instead of flowers.

6. Can you guess how many stairs there are in your house? Try. This might be important knowledge some day.

5. Think about how many writing projects you are presently working on. Although you are not actually writing at the moment, this will make you feel productive. Celebrate this productivity with a cookie for each project.

4. Start composing the thank you speech for the many awards you will receive one day. Practice your winning smile in front of a mirror while holding a shampoo bottle.

3. Turn on the TV and cruise up and down the channels. Remember when you were a teenager and there was always a good show on? When did this change?

2. Find out how many odd socks are sitting where ever you keep odd socks. Notice how the pile has grown since the last time you looked. Nope. Still no matches.

1. Wonder what your pet is thinking. Really wonder. Now, get a bit nervous and slowly leave the room.

8 comments:

  1. I always love these. They actually motivate me to write because I'm stubborn.

    CD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elspeth - Oh this is great! I loved it then and I love it now. Here's one of my favorites. Think about how long it's been since you groomed your pet. Then, groom your pet while feeling how important you are for helping animals. Realize your clothes are now covered with pet hair. Disaster! Go and change your clothes. Now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clarissa; Don't let Skippy know. He'd be miffed.

    Margot; Excellent! And when you go to change your clothes is when you realize you need a new wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely, Elspeth! Yet another thing to do instead of writing - buy new clothes :-).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just don't think about doing housework--that's a sure-fire way to get you back at the computer!

    Terry
    Terry's Place
    Romance with a Twist--of Mystery

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't ever thought about how many stairs I have! Good way to procrastinate a little...and I've been wanting to, today! Good luck feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have #9 down pat, #5 sounds beautiful and I would never try to do #1. I shudder just to think about it. :)
    I hope you spring back quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Skippy is very helpful today since I too am sick and have a book launch tomorrow. So today I will be skippified- no work for me.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment as I love to hear from you!