Monday, March 7, 2011

10 Questions Writers Ask


10. Why is it so much easier to write about writing than to actually write? I think every blogger must wonder this at some point.

9. Why is my writing in my head so much better than the writing on the page? Annoying, but true. Usually.

8. How does time seem to fly by when I'm writing well, but yet crawl when I'm struggling to write one decent sentence? Unfair, but true.

7. Do I have too many characters? Too few? Only your plot knows for sure. Or your editor.

6. How did I manage to forget that subplot that I began on page 20 and appears to have vanished without a trace? I refuse to admit if this has actually happened to me.

5. Good grief. How many more editing passes is this manuscript going to need? The answer always seems to be (for me) one more than I originally thought.

4. When will I ever consider myself a success? (on non-JK Rowling-terms)

3. Will anyone really want to buy this book? The question that niggles at the edges of your brain as you near the finish line.

2. Will I ever have another good idea? Not an idea; a good idea. The nightmare of every writer.

1. What happens next? Really. What happens? (Aren't first drafts fun?)






16 comments:

  1. Waaah, the one about the subplot happened to me even today! I just went back and deleted every reverence to it. I have something better in mind...

    Great post, though, thx.

    Marcel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marcel; That's probably the best way to handle it. Best of luck with the new idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *lol* still working at the first draft *sigh* I think I may have to adopt the snowflake method and see if that speeds me up :) and as for re-writes... well I say 8... but it was probably closer to 13 ;p it's gotta be perfect!

    The Arrival, on Amazon now
    www.damselinadirtydress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true. Finishing up a MS and wondering "will I ever sell it". Nothing like having your publishers decide to discontinue imprints, and you're stuck with book 4 in a series that nobody else is likely to want.

    Terry
    Terry's Place
    Romance with a Twist--of Mystery

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicole; Best of luck with your first draft and I say try any method that works!

    Terry; How awful! What about publishing it yourself on Kindle or similar? Surely you have many readers of the series eagerly waiting for the next installment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elspeth - I loved this post, but would you kindly stop reading my mind and sharing what you read there with the world? There's a dear ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Margot; I'm just relieved I'm not the only one riddled with these questions!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see you've been tromping around in my head again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my, and mine. especially #5 - I feel like I'm in the Groundhog Day movie. Yes, I do. Wait did I say that already? Yes, I did. Here is an eleventh:
    11. Will I ever get a letter from a publisher that doesn't have my writing on the envelope?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carol; You can't blame me; it's such a warm and friendly place!

    Jan; I agree about the Groundhog Day simile. And as for your #11; oh...groan. It's like extending your hand in a friendly (yet professional) handshake and getting it slapped.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! I bet anyone who mentions # 6 has also tried it ;)

    And why should you be better than the rest of us?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dorte; I'm just trying to maintain a modicum of dignity here...I will admit, however, to have given myself the "Too Stupid to Breathe" award several times.

    ReplyDelete
  13. And now you just earned the Honesty Award.

    I am sure you are in excellent company, by the way :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brilliant. I think we've probably all been from 1-10 and back again hundreds of times.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're so right about all of these!

    And I write in my head so much better than on paper. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love #10 the most, I think. And #1. And #s 2 and 3.

    Ok, I love all of 'em. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment as I love to hear from you!