Monday, November 30, 2009

The Writer's Brain


Guardian: Welcome to the writer's brain. I've been waiting for you.

Sheep #1: We're late because she couldn't get to sleep. (looks around) This is cramped. Why are some of our faces changing?

Guardian: She's thinking about her characters. There's a plot point she's stuck on. Look out!

Sheep #2: I didn't see the mud puddle. I'm stuck. And muddy. I hate mud.

Guardian: So does the writer. See those sheep frolicking? They're in the part of the plot that's working. As you've discovered, right here, there's mud.

Sheep #1: What's with the rainbow?

Guardian: That's the writer's fantasy of finishing this draft. Enjoy the view of the sunshine and the green grass. You can't get there from here. Too much mud.

Sheep #2: I could use some help here. I just had my hooves pedicured.

Sheep #1: Hey! You sheep with the weird faces! Come help! If we all work together we can get our sister out of this mess.

Group of sheep: We're busy. One of us is a murderer and we don't know which of us it is. It's rather unsettling.

Guardian: The writer knows which of you is the bad one. That plot is fine.

Group of sheep: Why all the glass?

Guardian: Sub plot.

Sheep #1: Who's the sheep walking softly carrying the big stick?

Guardian: Grammar sheep. He's cranky.

Sheep #1: And that one over there? Wearing the flowers and dancing around?

Guardian: Thesaurus sheep. Don't start him talking. Trust me.

Sheep #2: Something's happening. I'm feeling light. What's going on? What am I doing suspended up here? There's very little dignity hanging in the air.

Guardian: She's had her inspiration. It's lifted you out of the mud. Let us rejoice and carry on.

Sheep #1: Are we at the rainbow yet?

Guardian: It's closer. Every night it's a little closer.

Sheep #2: My hooves are ruined.

Guardian: New sub plot.

20 comments:

  1. Very funny but true. I wonder what would make those sheep start jumping peacefully over the fence to lull you to sleep?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And everywhere that author went ...
    The lambs were sure to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol; Glad you liked it.

    Karen; You've got sheep of your own. Trust me.

    JW; The sheep are rowdy. They're what keep me awake!

    Joanne; So true. So true. When did I become Little Bo Peep? I don't have the appropriate outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the style and tone of this. Witty and funny, too. ;)

    Marvin D Wilson

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elspeth - This is just *wonderful!* I have no idea *how* you knew so well what's going on in my brain... : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Old Silly; Thank you!

    Margot; You've got the sheep too?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny. I love the picture of the sheep. I'd also like to borrow them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a delight! Thanks for this break in my day.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What are the opposite of sheep? Do they visit, too? If so, I bet they aren’t as cute, cuddly, or friendly. They could be clever, though…but mean. Can you introduce them in a future post? You know, the ones who make the mud.

    Best Regards, Galen

    Imagineering Fiction Blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carolyn; Ah yes, the Serta sheep. I might be willing to rent mine out for a small fee.

    Elisa; Glad you liked it.

    Galen; The mud-makers. Yes, they're mean. Thanks for giving me another post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh man! Girl this is right on! Only I got goats and they keep eating my plot. They don't get why I yell at them and chase them back over the fence. But a herder's gotta do what a herder's gotta do.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent. Thanks for the smiles! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was FUN! Glad to hear you're out of the mud and winging away :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was really cute. I want your sheep. So much friendlier than my hedgehogs.

    Helen
    Straight From Hel

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jan; Goats? Goats would be cool. However eating the plot, not so cool. Glad you liked it!

    Deb; I'm pleased you liked it.

    Jemi; Glad it gave you a smile.

    Helen; Hedgehogs are cute. But prickly. I'll stick to sheep.

    Elizabeth; Glad you think so. It was fun to write!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mercy, counting sheep is hilarious with you in control!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What can I say? This is just so true!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment as I love to hear from you!