Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving on Television


In honour of today being American Thanksgiving, I thought I would veer away from writing about writing and give you, instead, some of my favourite television episodes with Thanksgiving scenes. All of the shows are no longer on the air; which probably says something about my age that I don't want to think about.

To all of you celebrating Thanksgiving today; have a wonderful day! I'm so very thankful to have discovered this online writing community and I'm constantly moved by your warmth and support.

So here's the list:

  1. Friends: The one where Rachel makes the trifle.
  2. Friends: The one where Brad Pitt guest stars.
  3. WKRP in Cincinnati: The one with the turkey giveaway.
  4. The Gilmore Girls: The one where they go to 4 Thanksgiving dinners.
  5. The West Wing: "Shibboleth".
All of these are funny, but the last one will also move you to tears.

Do you have a favourite Thanksgiving television show episode?

7 comments:

  1. I can't think of a specific one at the moment but I've probably seen the first three. I can remember having to put in appearances at 3-4 holiday dinners in my younger years-stressful and not fun! Much rather cook and eat at home :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elspeth - Thanks for the good wishes. It's an honor to be in the same community with you. I just *love* the episodes you've mentioned : ). They are terrific. I think my favorite is the WKRP episode - "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!" Classic fun! Thanks for the fun reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had forgotten all of yours, but now remember the WKRP (so funny) and the West Wing (I agree, it'll make you cry).

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    Helen
    Straight From Hel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to remind you of fun episodes. Sit back after you big meals and have a few laughs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Elspeth!

    I love the Charlie Brown episode where Snoopy makes the Thanksgiving dinner and they all eat popcorn and toast at a ping pong table. :)

    Elizabeth
    Mystery Writing is Murder

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rachel's trifle cracks me up every single time :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh the WKRP one is my all-time favourite! I still hear Les Nessman reporting the turkey drop.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment as I love to hear from you!