10. Your first draft is not your last draft.
9. Make your characters suffer before you give them cake.
8. A thesaurus is a wonderful tool but use it with discretion.
7. "What if..." is the writer's best friend. (or this writer, anyway!)
6. You cannot plan for inspiration. It erupts when it wishes. Be prepared.
5. Snacks are a good thing.
4. Only other writers will understand how much self-discipline it takes to write.
3. You will never read any book the same way again.
2. Don't have liquids near your computer.
1. Your 15th draft might not be your last draft.